History of the place
After the German army left Warsaw in November 1918, the citadel has been taken over by the Polish military. On the 16th of November 1918 a radio station left there by the Germans has send a dispatch to the most import ant capital of the world, proclaiming the independence of Poland. Before the Battle of Warsaw a recruiting point for the volunteers had been located in the Citadel. During the battle, the aforementioned radio station was used to scramble the commands sent by Russians over the radio. The fortress has been also put to more civilian uses – the first housing estates of Żoliborz, a district created together with newly independent Poland, has been built out of bricks collected during the demolition of the forts.
Created by: Paweł Kozioł
Consulted with Paweł Dunin-Wąsowicz