From the amalgamation of the Santiago Fortress, the Casa do Trem and the War Arsenal, in 1922 the largest History museum in Brazil, the National History Museum, was formed. Its buildings date back to the 17th century and retain vestiges of the Colonial, Imperial, and Republican periods in their architecture. This is one of the largest architectural complexes in the city of Rio de Janeiro.
Panoramic photo taken by Augusto Malta at 1922 during the International Exhibition that celebrated Brazilian Independence first centenary. At the beginning of 20th century the War Arsenal was transferred and the military architectural complex was reformulated, becoming the Pavilion of the Great Industries during the Exhibition. The National History Museum, created in 1922 by President Epitacio Pessoa, was installed in this building. To the right is the Pavilion of Parties.
President of Brazil
Minister of State for Culture
President of Brazilian Museums Institute
Marcelo Mattos Araújo
Director of National History Museum
Paulo Knauss de Mendonça
Américo David Aurélio
Vania Drummond Bonelli
MHN – 2017