Furnishings in the Theodore Roosevelt Home

Sagamore Hill National Historic Site, National Park Service

The Theodore Roosevelt Home is eclectically furnished with family pieces from both Theodore and Edith Roosevelt's families, gifts from friends and admirers, and family purchases. 

This Asian themed jardiniere with details of lotus flowers and elephants is a family heirloom which came from Theodore Roosevelt's father's home on West 57th Street in Manhattan.

Asian themed jardiniere located in the front hall, outside the Dining Room and North Room.

This carved oak bench came from Theodore Roosevelt parent's home on West 57th Street in New York City.

Carved oak benches from Roosevelt's parent's home are on exhibit in the Front Hall.

This elaborate wooden cabinet was made by the Herter Brothers. It was probably purchased by Theodore Roosevelt's parents for their 57th Street home.

Inlaid cabinet by Herter Brothers in Edith Roosevelt's Drawing Room.

This ornate bedroom set in the home's master bedroom was designed by Frank Furness and Daniel Pabst. It is from Theodore Roosevelt's parents' home at 57th Street in Manhattan.

This desk in the Drawing Room belonged to Edith's Aunt Ann Eliza Kermit.

Theodore Roosevelt used this mahogany corner chair at his desk in the North Room at Sagamore Hill.

Desk and corner chair in the alcove of the North Room.

These candelabrum depicting birds nests, mice and snails are believed to have been originally purchased for Theodore Roosevelt father's home on West 57th Street in Manhattan.

Candelabra on the Library mantle.

Blue and white Mexican talavera pottery jar. According to Ethel Roosevelt Derby, Theodore Roosevelt's youngest daughter, the family kept tennis balls in these jars.

Talavera ginger jars on the Front Hall mantle near the entrance to the home.

The Roosevelt family nicknamed this clock the "Ting-Tang" clock after the the sound of the Cambridge chimes which strike every fifteen minutes.

"Ting Tang" clock on the Library mantle.

Theodore Roosevelt was presented this "Rising Sun" armchair on February 22, 1905 by the 1st City Troop of Philadelphia Cavalry. The chair was made after an original "Rising Sun" chair made by John Folwell in 1779 for the speaker of the Pennsylvania's legislature.

Rising Sun armchair agains the wall in the North Room.

This vase, constructed from an artillery shell, is an example of trench art from World War I.

Artillery shell vase on a bookcase in the Front Hall outside the Drawing Room.

Steer horn and leather chair given to the Theodore Roosevelt by Texas friends.

Cattle horn chair beside a table in the Gun Room.

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile