The origins of the names of individual calli are often linked to the life of the city. There are calli that take their names from nearby churches or monasteries, calli that have very popular origins and owe their names to characters who lived or worked in the area and calli named after important figures in the history of Venice
According to some, it was the site of a workshop belonging to a swordsmith, whose wife was desired by another man. The man commissioned the manufacture of a dagger and, with the excuse of having to collect it, went to the shop and took advantage of the woman, who, being “honest”, took her own life out of shame using the very same dagger.
Today, the city has 435 bridges: 300 built of stone, 60 of iron and the rest of wood. There is evidence of the first stone bridge from 1170. At first, the bridges were without guardrails, which were only added in the nineteenth century, due to an increase in the population of Venice and to people falling into the water.