100 Years of Dentistry at Yonsei University (1915 - 2015)

Yonsei University College of Dentistry

In the darkest era of Japanese occupation, Dr. William J. Scheifley as a missionary began to teach Western Dentistry in a forgotten land, Joseon in 1915, which became the beginning of Korean dentistry.

Severance Hospital in 1904

Severance Union Medical College in 1913

Severance Hospital in 1921

Dental treatment of W.J.Sheifley

Dr. Boots treated the patient outside of hospital on January 1921

The lecture room of clinical dentistry in Severance Medical College in 1924

A Lecture of dentistry for the medical students in 1929

Demonstration of dental care for the Korean dentist in 1929

Advetisement of Dental paste and a tooth brush in Japanese colonial era

Fairwell of dental members for Dr. McInnes

The First College of Dentistry Building in 1971
The building was 3 floors high and designed so that when viewed from the Yonsei University Campus, it consisted of the education facility on the 1st and the 2nd floor and clinics on the 3rd floor. However, when viewed from the Yonsei Hospital Campus, the entrance of the building was on the 3rd floor. All of the departments were located on one floor, and there were no separate rooms for each of department.
The Second College of Dentistry in 1977
Additional extension with 2 more floors of the building from existing 3 floors was carried out where the new building had clinics on the 3rd and the 4th floor, while offices for professors and seminar rooms were located on the 5th floor. There were separate rooms for each of departments, so that specialized care can be carried out.
The Current Building of the Dental Hospital
Following the groundbreaking ceremony on 8th of May, 1992, The consecration of new dental hospital was taken place on 18th December, 1995. The building was the first dental hospital with concept of interior design, which consisted of 2 underground floors and 7 ground floors. It was built with connectivity to college of dentistry, which was to be built on 1996.
The Current Building of the Dental College
The consecration of newly built college of dentistry was taken place on 10th of May, 1996. This modern building had 2 underground floors and 4 ground floors, which was connected to dental college hospital that was built in 1995, for the integration of education and patient care area. In 2004, the extension of additional 3 floors were taken place from the existing 4 ground floors, to accommodate research laboratories of basic dental sciences and teaching facilities. Also, the building was connected to dental hospital through the 7th floor, which enhanced teaching and research excellence of the facilities.
Credits: Story

Yonsei University College of Dentistry
Yonsei Dentistry 100years Memorial Preparatory Committee
Compilation Committee

Chairperson : KwangMahn Kim
Commissioner : YeongSik Cho
HyungSeog Yu
JooYeon Lee
MinHyeong Lee
YooSeok Shin

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile