Coach of Filipe II - restoration process at National Coach Museum
With the support of the Millennium BCP Foundation, which allowed the hiring of specialized technicians, an interdisciplinary conservation and restoration action was started in April 2016 in the collection of vehicles of the MNC. This action lasted six months and was coordinated by the Department of Conservation and Collections of the museum, with the technical and scientific support of José de Figueiredo Laboratory / DGPC, an institution that complies with the policy of conservation of movable and integrated cultural property owned by the State.
This coach is a rare example of a royal Coach and the oldest in the museum's collection. It is an archaic model corresponding to the type of vehicle being used as early as in the latter part of the 16th century.
It belonged to King Filipe II (Filipe III of Spain) who used the Coach during his visit to Portugal in 1619.
The selected vehicles were operated at the exhibition location, where a mobile laboratory was set up, so visitors could observe the work of these teams "in situ". The interventions focused on the areas of textiles, metal, leather, wood, painting and gilding.