Known as the Roman Necropolis of Carmona until 1992, the archaeological site of Carmona was the first of its kind to be opened to the general public in Spain. It was opened in 1885 and since 1888 had a pioneering museum. Its exhibits mainly consisted of a necropolis dating back to the first century AD, and the remains of an amphitheater, the oldest to be documented within the Iberian Peninsula.
The opening ceremony of the Roman Necropolis of Carmona took place on 24 May 1885. Standing on the right, with mustache, George E. Bonsor.
Tomb of the Triclinium Olive, observe the placement of urns in the niches, the numbering of the tomb and the central triclinium for funeral banquets.
Servilia tomb undergoing excavation.
Tomb of Servilia. Servilia sculpture at the site of its discovery.
Circular Mausoleum. The upper structure of the monument is distinguishable by the ring of stones. Outside the structure there is a well through which the chamber can be accessed.
Circular Mausoleum. Detail of the underground chamber.
Tomb of the Garlands. Despite the degree of rock degradation, remnants of the pictorial decoration, made up of plant motifs on the niches, may still be seen.
Tomb of the Garlands. Current state and a recreation of its original appearance.
Tomb of the Elephant. View of the triclinia (places in which funeral banquets were held) and the central corridor.
Tomb of Postumius. View of the courtyard and access to the burial chamber.
Tomb of Servilia. General view. In the foreground, the access corridor to the burial chamber (originally hypogeum) and atrium.
Tomb of Servilia. Detail of the burial chamber with ribbed vault with arcosolia to host sarcophagi.
Tomb of Servilia. Idealized drawing of the original appearance of the burial chamber with pictorial decoration. Painted by Juan Rodríguez Jaldón (c. 1931).
Four-cornered Mausoleum. It highlights the closure of stone slabs blocking access to the underground burial chamber, leaving only one small trap door currently open.
Tomb of the Four Columns. One of the most original complexes of the necropolis, highlighted by a domed-roof supported by four pillars.
Tomb of Prepusa. Highlighted by the existence of a ustrinum (where the body was cremated) within the funerary complex itself. The door leads to the burial chamber.
Columbarium Triclinium. A collective funeral complex opposite family members, being a common trend at this necropolis.
Amphitheater. The oldest building of its kind on the Iberian Peninsula, in which the tiers of benches carved into the rock and marks in the sand to support a wooden floorboarding are clearly visible.
Statue of Servilia. The main hall of the museum is dominated by the sculpture of Servilia and the pedestal that he dedicated to his mother.
The Elephant Statue. Originally housed in the eponymous tomb, and later moved into the museum for safety and conservation reasons, the significance of this statue remains a mystery.
Ceramic urn with ashes from cremation and grave goods.
Grave goods possibly originating from a female burial.
The archaeological site of Carmona
Conjunto Arqueológico de Carmona
Consejería de Cultura de la Junta de Andalucía
Curated by: Ignacio Rodríguez Temiño
Texts: Ignacio Rodríguez Temiño, José Ildefonso Ruiz Cecilia
Photograpy:José Ildefonso Ruiz Cecilia
Digital Edition: Ignacio Rodríguez Temiño