Solomon Isquith was a hero of the USS Utah when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor

Isquith wanted to attend the Naval Academy. But at 5'4" tall, he was too short at his initial exam. Family legend says he tied flatirons to his ankles and stretched his legs just long enough to meet the height requirement on a second exam. He graduated in 1920.

In June 1940, Solomon Isquith was assigned to the USS Utah as Engineer Officer based in Pearl Harbor.

Pre-Pearl Harbor service in Hawaii

On December 7, 1941, Solomon Isquith was in command of the USS Utah. Though it was no longer an operational battleship, the Japanese hit the Utah with a barrage of torpedoes. It was one of the first ships to be sunk.

As the Utah was capsizing, men were trapped inside. LCDR Isquith had to pull himself through a port hole to survive. After, he secured a torch and cut through the hull to free trapped men. 461 survived and 64 perished.

While attempting to save crew members, Isquith was wounded aboard the Utah by bullets from strafing Japanese planes. He received the Purple Heart.

Isquith was awarded the Navy Cross, the military's second-highest decoration, for his actions and "cool and efficient manner" that day.

Isquith with other officers who had received the Navy Cross for actions at Pearl Harbor.

After the attack, Isquith stayed at Pearl Harbor and worked on salvage operations including the salvage of the USS Oklahoma.

After salvaging the Oklahoma, CDR Isquith commanded the USS Noble in the Pacific.

Solomon Isquith retired from the Navy as a rear admiral in 1947.

After retirement from the Navy, Isquith was active with the Jewish War Veterans of the U.S.A. and an advocate for Israel.

A memorial was placed by the wreck of the Utah in memory of those who perished at Pearl Harbor.

Credits: All media
The story featured may in some cases have been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Translate with Google