The Vienna Secession shines in new splendour on the occasion of its 120th anniversary. The building was constructed according to the plans of Joseph Maria Olbrich, co-designed by the first president Gustav Klimt and some of his artist comrades, and opened to the astonished public in November 1898. Today the monument protected building is considered the most important example of Austrian Art Nouveau architecture. Its widely sparkling laurel dome consists of 2500 leaves and over 300 berries - in the course of the currently completed renovation of the building, they were restored by hand and freshly gilded.
In addition to the permanent presentation of the Beethoven Frieze by Gustav Klimt, temporary exhibitions of contemporary art are also on display.