The church was built under Francesco Farnese in 1722 and rebuilt and enlarged in 1777 by the Duke Ferdinand of Bourbon. The decoration was realized by Gaetano Cignaroli who sculptured the five statues. At the top of the timpanum a bronze medallion with the inscription in Hebrew "Jahveh"
Tetragramma Jahweh (1700)Reggia di Colorno
The bronze medallion with the inscription "Jahveh"
The interior represents a fine example of the perfect integration of architectonic structure, ornamentation and furniture. It has three naves divided by pillars and columns and it is decorated with stucco and the dome with frescoes by Domenico Muzzi.
Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament
The chapel is characterized by a rich decoration in marble: a small temple with columns surmounted by a dome with the figure of the Redeemer to which join the eight six statues in white marble of Carrara representing prophets, work of the sculptor carrarese Giuseppe Maria Castelpoggi.
The Chapel of the Relics
The Chapel owns the most important for Don Ferdinand and it is representative of the predilection of the Duke to collect relics of Saints. With a rectangular plan, the chapel, closed by a wrought iron gate, is dominated by the large walnut furniture where relics and letters that certified its authenticity are still preserved. In the center an oil on canvas by Pietro Rotari depicts Blessed Stefana Quinzani in the act of praying.
The half-sphere dome with lantern, resting on a drum supported by plumes in which the four evangelists are painted. Made by Domenico Muzzi in 1793, clearly inspired by Correggio, it depicts "The coronation of the Virgin" accompanied by martyrs, prophets and saints, many of them Dominicans.
Pennacchio con San Giovanni (1793) by Domenico MuzziReggia di Colorno
Plum of the Dome with Saint John, by Domenico Muzzi
The altarpiece represents "The preaching of San Liborio" by the painter and court sculptor Gaetano Callani. The saint is depicted seated in front of an altar surrounded by priests and clerics variously posed, above a statue of Christ blessing.The altarpiece that houses the canvas is made of wood painted in fake marble and gilt executed in 1792 on a design by Donnino Ferrari.
The majestic eighteenth-century organ was made by the famous brothers Serassi of Bergamo. It is a masterpiece of Italian organ making, remarkable for its size and for its sound and instrumental characteristics. It consists of 2898 tin pipes distributed between 68 commands, still working today.
The orginal choir of 1775 made by manufacture of Parma is situated behind the altar.