The Cyprus Folk Art Museum was founded in 1937 by the Society of Cypriot Studies, a nonprofit organization with great history in the cultural field. Their member’s efforts are based in volunteerism. Among else the SCS is publishing scientific editions, organizes events and international conferences concerning Cyprus.The building of the Museum dates back to the 15th century and is Gothic with earlier additions. It was used as a monastery and later the Archbishopric Palace since 1961. The first opening of the Cyprus Folk Art Museum was in 1950. Most of the items were gathered before 1974, from areas that are now illegally occupied by Turkish troops. Nowadays many people still give donations of their whole collections to preserve them in history.