Historical Iloilo: Philippines' Second City

The Central Philippine city of Iloilo was once the second most important city in the Philippines. Fueled by trans-shipment of sugar industry, the city became a trading hub and center of economy. However, after World War II, it wasn't able to recover fast enough to regain its old stature. The photo features media taken by Casanave Studios and Time Life.

Provincial Capitol of Iloilo and Arroyo Fountain.
Paraw. One of the modes of transport back then.
Casino Espanol de Iloilo. It was a gathering place of the elite during the city's heydays.
The Masonic Lodge, Plaza Libertad and the monument of Philippine national hero Jose Rizal facing the lodge. It was in this place that on December 1898, the last of the Spanish admin surrendered.
Jaro Metropolitan Cathedral and Belfry, before the 1948 earthquake. The belfry's original upper levels were destroyed by the earthquake in 1948.
The area of Plaza Libertad and San Jose Church, as taken (probably) from the Aduana tower.
Fort Nuestra Senora de Santo Rosario, or popularly known as "Fort San Pedro."
The UNESCO World Heritage Site of Iglesia Paroquial de Santo Tomas de Villanueva in Miag-ao.
Salt making near Molo, Iloilo.
The Philippine National Bank beside Plaza Libertad.
The Joaquin Ledesma Residence beside Plaza Libertad. It's facade today is skewered due to a rumor of treasure hunting beneath it.
The gates and the walls of Janiuay Cemetery
The Archbishop's Residence of Jaro.
Nelly Garden is a residence in the outskirts of Jaro. It was spared from burning during the twilight years of the war. Today, it is one of the city's cultural icons.
The Aduana or the Customs House was built in 1916. It is the symbol of Iloilo's importance with trade, especially on trans-shipment of sugar.
Saint Paul's Hospital in Calle General Luna.
Santos Residence. One of the villas at General Hughes Street, going to Fort San Pedro.
Cine Eagle, Cine Palace, Calle Mapa, Sunburst Park, and the old Calle Real. This is the center of commerce and business in old Iloilo. Today, much of the old buildings have been preserved.
Iloilo Mission Hospital. It is said to be one of the first institutions to have established a nursing school in the Philippines.
The old Provincial Jail of Iloilo was built in 1911. It served as so until late 2000s. It will be reused as the site of National Museum in Iloilo.
The old municipio of La Villa Rica de Arevalo. The structure no longer exists.
Iloilo High School is one of the "centennarian Gabaldon Schools" of the country.
La Monumento a la Reina Isabel II de las Mujeres de Villa Arevalo, and the Santo Nino Church of Villa Arevalo in Iloilo City.
Plazoleta Gay and Calle Ledesma in downtown Iloilo City. The area is the intersection of Iznart, JM Basa, Ledesma, and Arroyo Streets.
The ruined bridge in Iloilo after the war.
Credits: All media
This user gallery has been created by an independent third party and may not always represent the views of the institutions, listed below, who have supplied the content.
Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile