Thian Hock Keng is one of Singapore’s oldest and most important temple for immigrants from southern China’s Fujian province. Completed in 1842 and standing on what used to be the shoreline, it is dedicated to the worship of Ma Zu Po, the Goddess of the Sea. While most of the building materials came from China, the temple incorporates cast-iron railings from Scotland and tiles from England and Holland. In 1973, it was gazetted as a National Monument. Its restoration in 2001 gained an honorable mention from UNESCO. On its left is the former Keng Teck Whay, and on its right, the former Chong Hock Girls' School.
For more photos of Telok Ayer conservation area, please click here.