Built in 1830s Original location: Northwest corner of Ogden Ave. and Fender Rd. Primary use: tollhouse, lodging, food and drink, residence The Beaubien Tavern was originally located on a 106 acre farm that belonged to Richard Sweet. Sweet resided in this building around 1833 after he finished his time as a soldier in Blackhawk War. He traded his property to Mark Beaubien in 1841 in return for The Sauganash building, another historic establishment originally located in Chicago near Fort Dearborn. Comfortably located a day’s journey by wagon from Chicago, the Beaubien Tavern was a popular gathering place and haven for travelers on their way to and from Chicago. Visitors could travel the plank roads, pay for lodging and food, and even rent blankets and pillows. The Tavern’s accommodations included: - a smaller room for men to enjoy beverages and card games - a larger room for women and children to eat and drink tea - second floor bedrooms that served as a hotel for guest to stay the night Business was good for a while, but the plank roads fell into disrepair and out of use. The tavern was sold at a sheriff’s sale in 1859 and used for various purposes until it was moved to the museum complex. Mr. Beaubien was known for being a jolly fellow who was full of fun and frolic. At night he often used his talent with a fiddle to provide musical entertainment for his guests, visitors, and friends which included new settlers and Native Americans. He and his first wife, Monique, had a total of 16 children before she died. He remarried a woman named Elizabeth and the two had seven of their own children. Once he left Lisle, he moved to Kankakee where he lived the rest of his life and passed away in 1881, at the age of 81.