Commissioned by General de Lasalle, this portrait is the first of the series of effigies dedicated to military glory painted by Antoine-Jean Gros. The painting was exhibited at the 1808 Salon. It commemorates a glorious military feat: the capitulation of Stettin during the Prussian campaign in 1806. Antoine de Lasalle, accompanied by his aide-de-camp, is depicted on foot, a pose that was reserved at the time for high-ranking dignitaries. He is leaning on an oriental-style sword, the visible tension betraying the subject's energy. In his other hand, he holds the order of capitulation. At his feet lay his pipe, his tobacco pouch, and his bicorn hat. In the background, the Prussian delegate is holding the keys to the city on a silver platter, and the company of hussars has been depicted as an outline to remind the viewer of the collective aspect of the victory. Below them, we see the Stettin fortress, which was guarded by 5000 men. These men believed that the entire French army was at their gate, and so surrendered to just 700 cavalrymen.