This 45-star United States flag flew over the United States Post Office at the town of Peach, Washington. Mrs. Sadie Young Long, born at the Peach Post Office, donated the flag to Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area in 1970. Located at the confluence of Hawk Creek and the Columbia River, about 300 people Iived in Peach in 1917. Produce from the town's peach, plum, apricot, pear, apple, and cherry orchards were shipped by rail to North Dakota, Nebraska, and Illinois. Along with the orchards, Peach had a school, hotel, church, and gas station.
After construction of the Grand Coulee Dam began on July 16, 1933, Bureau of Reclamation survey crews determined that Peach would be displaced by the dam's reservoir. Peach was the first town cleared by WPA and CCC workers with residents required to evacuate the area by January 1, 1939. The Peach Post Office was officially decommissioned on April 9, 1939 and by 1941 the remains of Peach had disappeared beneath the waters of Lake Roosevelt. While other area towns inundated by the reservoir relocated to higher ground, the town of Peach did not relocate. The site of Peach now sits approximately 230 feet beneath the surface of Lake Roosevelt.