This work, signed and dated 29 March 1496 on the back, was for the high altar of the church of San Donato a Scopeto in the city's outskirts, destroyed in view of the siege of 1529-'30. It replaced the Adoration by Leonardo da Vinci, left unfinished in 1481 when the latter departed for Milan (1890 Inv. no. 1594). It originally had a predella with the figures of the saints and a Man of Sorrows. In the Uffizi since 1666, following the death of Cardinal Carlo de' Medici (1595-1666).