Loading

Albrecht Dürer and others, The Triumphal Arch, woodcut

1515/1517

British Museum

British Museum

The Triumphal Arch is one of the largest prints ever produced. It was commissioned by the Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I (1459-1519). The programme was devised by the court historian and mathematician, Johann Stabius, who explains underneath that it was constructed after the model of 'the ancient triumphal arches of the Roman Emperors'.

Above the central arch, entitled 'Honour and Might', is a genealogy of Maximilian in the form of a family tree. Above the left arch, 'Praise', and the right arch, 'Nobility', are represented events from his life. These are flanked by busts of emperors and kings on the left, and a column of Maximilian's ancestors on the right. The outermost towers on either side show scenes from the private life of Maximilian.

The architect and painter Jörg Kölderer designed the overall appearance of the structure, and Dürer designed the individual scenes and architectural elements, some of which he sub-contracted to his pupils Hans Springinklee and Wolf Traut, and Albrecht Altdorfer of Regensburg.

The date 1515, which appears on the Arch, refers to the completion of the designs; the blocks were cut by Hieronymus Andreae of Nuremberg between 1515 and 1517. This impression belongs to the first edition of 1517-18 when about seven hundred sets were printed, but they are today very rare. It is undecorated apart from the word Halt in the German Halt Mass ('Keep to moderation') which is gilded.

Show lessRead more
  • Title: Albrecht Dürer and others, The Triumphal Arch, woodcut
  • Date Created: 1515/1517
  • Physical Dimensions: Height: 3570.00mm; Width: 2950.00mm
  • External Link: British Museum collection online
  • Technique: woodcut
  • Subject: genealogy; arch/gateway
  • Registration number: E,5.1
  • Producer: Print made by D. Print made by . Print made by . Print made by . Printed by . After
  • Material: paper
  • Copyright: Photo: © Trustees of the British Museum
  • Acquisition: Bequeathed by Nollekens, Joseph. Bequeathed through Douce, Francis

Recommended

Home
Explore
Nearby
Profile