Provenance: Bernardo de' Rossi, Bishop of Treviso from 1505 until 1510. Probably Palazzo Farnese, Parma. Antonio Bertioli, Parma, by 1791 until at least 1803. Giacomo Gritti, Bergamo, by c. 1880. (sale, Sotheby's, London, 9 May 1934, no. 129); purchased by Martin Asscher, London. (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence and Rome); sold 1935 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York;  gift 1939 to NGA.
 The painting bears his coat of arms.
 According to Kress files in NGA curatorial records.
 According to Fern Rusk Shapley, Catalogue of the Italian Paintings, 2 vols., Washington, D.C., 1979: 1:278.