This panel, signed and dated 1333, was painted for the altar of St. Ansanus in the Duomo of Siena, from where it was removed in the late 16th century. St. Maxima, the godmother of St. Ansanus, is attributed to Memmi, Simone's brother-in-law and fellow artist in the workshop. Here the elegance of the gothic linearity, which distinguishes the artistic expression of painting in late medieval court society, reaches one of its most refined and exquisite expressions. The prophets'scrolls allude to the mystery of the Incarnation. It has been in the Uffizi since 1799.