The original location and commissioning of this work are unknown. It was painted at about the time Leonardo was still at Verroccchio's workshop (1472, ca.) It came to the Uffizi in 1867 from the sacristy of San Bartolomeo a Monteoliveto outside the gate of San Frediano. One can already see the careful attention to the atmospheric changes in the landscape which will be further developed by the artist in later work. The work is meant to be seen from below and from the right. From this point of view certain details come into proper alignment such as the keystones on the building, the foreshortening of the Virgin's arm and the lectern.