The construction of Trinity College's permanent memorial to graduates and members of the University who died in the War was the result of almost a decade of fund-raising and planning by the College's War Memorial Committee. The architect chosen was Sir Thomas Deane, who designed the building in a classical style deemed most appropriate for the University. Inside the Hall, the names of the dead are inscribed in gold lettering on five marble panels, separated by black marble pillars. The floor is of green, white and black marble, and the doors of Irish oak. The total cost of the building was £11,000. The intention was always to make the Hall the entrance to a new reading room for the Library and this was included in Thomas Deane's plan for the building. However, the College did not have sufficient funds to finance the construction of this until 1935, with the new reading room being opened in July 1937. The building stands to the west of the Old Library and has the word NIKH, Greek for Victory, over the entrance.