The King's House was built in 1540 and serves today as the residence of the Constable of the Tower. It is one of the most important timber-framed buildings in London, having survived the Great Fire of 1666. In fact, for much of its existence the timber structure was hidden from view as the building was rendered sometime before 1720. However, the timbers were revealed when the building was restored and the render removed in 1914.
This drawing, which is connected to the restoration of the building, provides details about the construction and condition of the house's exterior. The three-storey staircase tower to the east of the King's House (left of this drawing) was pulled down in 1960.