Recorded by Ghiberti around 1450 as being on the high altar of the Badia Fiorentina, it was substituted in 1568 with a painting by Giorgio Vasari so that it could be moved to the refectory vestibule in the Benedictine convent. In 1810, following the French suppression, the painting was transferred to San Marco and then to the church of Santa Croce in 1813. It has been exhibited in the Uffizi since 1966. Giotto varies the expression of the half figures of Saints with a solid sense of volume. And through the gaze exchanged between the Virgin and Child he transmits a strong, affectionate bond.