In July 1907, at a meeting conveyed by Henry Rosher James, the then principal of Presidency College (now Presidency University) and Sir Archdale Earle, the then Director of Public Instruction (DPI) of Bengal, and presided by Sir Edward Norman Baker, the then Lieutenant Governor of Bengal, it was decided that the campus of the college will be expanded. The plan was finalised the next year. Consequently, the Baker building was made. It was constructed in neo-Classical style and inaugurated by Lord Carmichael, the then Governor of Bengal, on 20 January 1920. It initially housed the Physics, Physiology, Geology and Botany departments. Later, Statistics, Economics and Zoology departments were also moved to this building. This is a view of the Baker Building from the ground of Presidency College (now Presidency University).