Aerial view of Carisbrooke Castle looking west
The outer defences of Carisbrooke Castle date to the 1590s. These Elizabethan additions transformed it into an up-to-date artillery fortress. Five large arrowhead bastions – one at each corner and one near the gatehouse – were equipped to cover the whole perimeter of the castle with their range of fire. The defences were completed in 1602, but never used in action.