The Vallejo Grain Elevator, the tall building at left whose roof meets the horizon line here, was built in 1869 and was designed to accommodate ten thousand tons of wheat. Due to a design flaw, the structure collapsed on September 16, 1872. Grain was brought to the facility via the California Pacific Railroad. The Frisbie House hotel is at right of center, where a dozen white bedsheets dry on lines in the open air. The hotel was named for General John B. Frisbie, an early settler in Vallejo.