The tube is cylindrical with a consistent diameter. There is an extension at the top that enters the tube and houses the eyepiece. The lens sits at the bottom. The tube is fastened to the hexagonal pillar with a rack mechanism controlled by side screws, which move the tube and lenses for coarse focusing. At the top of the pillar is a screw that rotates to enable fine focusing. The stage is just above the pedestal and has 2 clips to hold slides in place, along with a central hole that allows light to pass through. Below the stage is the plano-concave mirror, which is attached to the lower cylindrical part of the pillar. The tilting mechanism consists of a joint between the base and the pillar. The base has 3 long, curved legs: an arch-shaped back leg bearing the identifying inscription and 2 curved front legs.
Charles Baker (1814–93) was a famous English optical and scientific instrument maker. In 1851 he set up at 244 High Holborn in London, where he worked for many years. His workshop remained active even after his death.