The manufacture of porcelain in Sèvres, on the outskirts of Versailles, was established from industries previously located in Vincennes. In activity since 1756, this industry became a leader and reference in the production of porcelain in Europe, largely due to the patronage of king Louis XV and Madame de Pompadour. A selection of leading French scientists and artists became involved with the company, developing better formulas and new styles. For example, the chemist Jean Hallot, the painter François Boucher and the sculptor Étienne-Maurice Falconet.
Porcelain amphora narrowing at the base. Cobalt blue tone, with decorative medallion, painted with a romantic scene, representing a seated couple. The golden metal handles form branches and volutes. The pedestal is made of metal, as is the small plunger at the top of the lid, held by a gold ribbon. It's signed: "Ruy Carey."