A painting showing Covent Garden Square as it appeared in the 18th Century. On the west side is the portico of the Church of St Paul built by Inigo Jones in 1633 at the expense of the Earl of Bedford.
Covent Garden Market was one of the largest fruits and produce markets in London. The painting is populated with figures interacting with the produce market, including making purchases, watering plants, and listening to an orator.
The painting was formerly in the Bedford Collection.