Van Gogh came to Auvers-sur-Oise, a little village around 30 kilometers from Paris, on May 20, 1890. Auvers was an artists’ village, where painters such as Armand Guillaumin, Camille Pissarro and Paul Cézanne had already worked. Charles Daubigny, a painter Van Gogh much admired, had also moved there around 1860. At the time of Van Gogh’s arrival, his widow still occupied their house.
Daubigny’s property included a large garden which Van Gogh would eventually paint a number of times. This impressionistic view depicts only a small part of the enclosure, and is a study for two larger paintings he later made of the whole terrain.