The skeleton of Diplodocus carnegii is a replica of the skeleton known as "Dippy", the original of which is in the Carnegie Museum of Natural History of Pittsburgh. The dinosaur skeleton was found in Wyoming in 1899, and it was named Diplodocus carnegii after the multimillionaire Andrew Carnegie who financed the excavations. It was one of the biggest dinosaurs known by then; even today, with a length of 25 m, it is still among the longest. The American magnate made replicas of the same and gave them away to the major museums of natural science in the world, including Spanish museum. The mounting of this skeleton, its relocation and arrival in 1913 caused a great social impact. In fact, the Queen María Cristina and the Infanta Beatriz were present at the official inauguration on December 2nd of 1913. For seven decades, the diplodocus of the MNCN was the only skeleton of dinosaur in Spain, becoming a potent icon which contributed to bring paleontology closer to the Spanish population.