The East India Docks was the third wet docks built on the River Thames in the early 19th century. Opening in 1806 it provided a more secure and convenient place for ships dealing in the East India trade. The docks comprised an entrance basin (bottom-right), export dock and the larger import dock to the landward side. The advent of containerisation made the docks obsolete by the 1960s. They were closed and filled, although the entrance basin remains.
Historic England Archive EAW004332.