Print of a hand-coloured general arrangement drawing of the Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works sewerage pumping station at Spotswood. It shows details of the North & South Engine Houses, Boiler Houses and Coal Bunkers. The original drawing was completed in 1899. This copy is dated 3 October 1917 and is signed by Calder Oliver, MMBW Engineer-in-Chief.
The Spotswood Sewerage Pumping Station was constructed for the Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works (MMBW) between 1893 and 1897, as part of Melbourne's first centralised sewerage system. From its official opening in February 1898, the Spotswood Pumping Station served for 67 years as the heart of Melbourne's sewerage system, pumping wastewater collected in underground sewers from homes, factories, stables and businesses throughout Melbourne to a treatment farm at Werribee.
The Spotswood Pumping Station buildings and their entire contents were classified by the National Trust of Australia in 1981.