Built between 1775 and 1790 by Theobald Butler, J.P., Waterville House was the major manor house in the area. The neighbouring village that developed around the 50 acre estate was also named Waterville. This photograph shows fishing at the estate’s salmon weir, constructed where the Rivers Finglas and Currane meet. As a rich source of salmon and trout, Waterville was a popular centre for fishing throughout the 19th century. Waterville House is now a golf course.