Thames Ammunition Works was built on marshland between the Rivers Thames and Darent. Established in the 1870s it operated during the First and Second World Wars, closing in the 1960s. It was served by road and river. Although protected by embankments, the site fell victim to the North Sea flood of 31 January and 1 February 1953. Aerofilms recorded the damage the following day.
Historic England Archive EAW048379.