This locally-designed Art Deco building used to house the former Chong Cheng School 崇正学校 and Chong Pun Girls’ School 崇本女校. Chong Cheng School (formerly Yang Zheng School 养正学堂) was founded in 1903 as a boys’ school. It operated in various locations along Beach Road before moving to this school compound in 1938. Chong Pun Girls’ School (formerly Yu De Girls’ School 育德女子学校) first started at Thian Hock Keng Temple along Telok Ayer Street before occupying the premises at Aliwal Street.
Both schools were housed in separate wings and shared common facilities such as the school hall. The schools were funded by donations from their founders, trustees and philanthropists including the Haw Par brothers and Tan Kah Kee (1874–1961) and organisations such as the former Sun Tian Gong temple at Malabar Street.
The schools were known for its calibre of teachers and students, including famous alumni such as Chinese magnate, Lee Kong Chian (1893-1967) and former President of Singapore, Ong Teng Cheong (1936-2002). The building was conserved in 2011 by the Urban Redevelopment Authority.