The Ging Hawk Club, initially a Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA)-affiliated organization, was founded in 1929 by social worker Theodora Chan. This group, whose name means "striving for knowledge," was created for Chinese women attending university in the New York City area, and served as a place where they could meet like-minded peers. The Ging Hawk Club had 5-6 members at its inception, but grew in the following decades to include 25-30 members. The club organized social and cultural activities including dances, essay contests and fundraisers, even raising money to help China and the US fight the Japanese during World WII. The club remained active until the 1960s.