This plan is by noted Derby architect Joseph Pickford (1734-1782), who is known for his palladian style buildings. It shows the hall, also known as the mansion house, at Darley Abbey. At the time this was created, the hall was owned by Robert Holden, who employed Pickford to improve and extend the building. The hall was further altered in around 1808 and in the 1830s it became the home of the Evans family who owned the highly profitable cotton and paper mills in Darley Abbey. In 1931 the Evans family gave the hall and surrounding park to the city of Derby. The hall was demolished in 1962.
This plan shows the public reception rooms (drawing room, dining rooms and breakfast parlour) as well as the servants' quarters, including the butler's pantry, housekeeper's room, kitchen, laundry and stables.