This painting was done by Amrita Sher-Gil in 1935, the first after her return from Europe following her art studies in Paris. This painting won her a gold medal from the Bombay Art Society. Art historian Partha Mitter has referred to this painting as The Three Women, while in the catalogue Amrita Sher-Gil: An Indian Artist Family of the Twentieth Century, the painting has been titled Group of Three Girls. We observe a change in her visual language compared to that of her paintings done in Europe. The influence of Gaugin in the flattened treatment of figures is noteworthy. The use of a brilliant red becomes more patent in her work from this time onwards.