Group of Tuskegee Airmen that probably includes Robert M. Glass.
The photograph was taken in front of the Booker T. Washington
monument titled 'Lifting the Veil of Ignorance' located on the Tuskegee Institute campus.
The military selected Tuskegee Institute to train pilots because of its commitment to aeronautical training. Tuskegee had the facilities, and engineering and technical instructors, as well as a climate for year round flying. The first Civilian Pilot Training Program students completed their instruction in May 1940. The Tuskegee program was then expanded and became the center for African-American aviation during World War II.