In 1913 these models of Hammond typewriters signalled a major improvement in word processing. By 1913 the straight keyboard and the QWERTY key configuration were the standards for typewriters. Differing from the standard approach, these are a rare type of technological construction. The type shuttle, a semi-circular piece of hard rubber with the letters imprinted on the surface, is mounted on a rotating turret. When a key is struck the turret turns to bring the right letter in alignment with the paper, where a spring loaded hammer mounted behind the paper drives the paper into contact with the letter.
There were many versions released at the same time but one of the major technical developments was the swinging sector that allowed two types of shuttles to be connected to the machine at the same time. By rotating the shuttle holder 180 degrees the type font could be changed very quickly. Hundreds of shuttles covered all languages, alphabets and types.
The donor of this typewriter, Mr A.V. Kozloff, was a Greek businessman who purchased the typewriter in 1925. Kozloff travelled through the Middle East, United States of America and Queensland, and his typewriter travelled with him. Donated with the typewriter were plate shields in: Russian, Greek, American, French, English Italics and others.