This inscription on a roughly cut stone contains a text about the renovation of Namhansanseong, for which Hong Jeon (1606-1665), then serving as the Buyun (Magistrate of Administrative Unit) and Sueosa (Commander-in-Chief of Sueocheong), along with various junior officials, mobilized a group of skilled workers, carpenters, stonemasons, blacksmiths and plasterers to renovate the fortress. Considering the magistrate’s year of birth and death, the Muin Year inscribed on the stone must refer to 1638. The stone bearing the inscription was used in the abutment of an arched gate leading to the battery located at the end of the Second South Outwork. The inscription consists of 105 Chinese characters written in regular script and engraved in a space measuring 115 centimeters in length and 60 centimeters in breadth.
This inscription contains a record about the renovation of Namhansanseong, completed in the seventh month of 1638, which reads:
Docheong (Chief Officer): Hong Jeon, Buyun and Sueosa
Byeoljang (Adjunct Commandant): Choe Man-deuk, Jeolchung Janggun (Chief Negotiation Officer) and Cheomji Jungchubusa (Chief Royal Advisor),
Yeongjang (Assistant Officer): Song Hyo-sang, Eomo Janggun (Insult-defense Officer) and Haengyongyangwi Sagwa (Lieutenant Officer in the Dragon Rampant Guards),
Gamyeokgwan (Public Works Supervisors):
Kim Myeong-yul, Jeonbujang (Former Police Officer)
Gyeong I-hyo, Jeonsagwa (Former Lieutenant Officer)
Kim Ui-ryong, Jeonbujang (Former Police Officer)
Carpenters: 74 including Head Carpenter Yang Nam
Stonemasons: 13 including Head Stonemason Gang Bok
Blacksmiths: 2 including Yi Gi-tan
Plasterers: 7 including Kim Dol-si
Hong Jeon (1606-1665): Born a son of Hong U-jik and known by the courtesy names Baegyun and Jugam, Hong Jeon was one of the hardline anti-negotiation officials, together with Kim Sang-heon, O Dal-je and Hong Ik-han, who opposed the peace process during the Byeongjahoran. He served the Joseon Dynasty (1392-1910) in important administrative, ministerial and secretarial positions in many areas outside the capital, including Gwangju, Ganggye, Uiju, Gyeongsang-do, Hwanghae-do, Cheongju, Jeju, Gilju, and Chungju, as well as in Hanseong (present-day Seoul). In 1638, he was appointed as Buyun of Gwangju for a second time, following the promotion of its administrative division from Mok to Bu, and served as the chief supervisor of the renovation of Namhansanseong.