Holloway brooch designed by Sylvia Pankhurst. The silver and enamel brooch incorporates the portcullis emblem of the House of commons and a central broad prisoners arrow in purple, white and green enamel. The brooch is first referenced in Votes for Women on 16 April 1909 and first presented to ex-suffragette prisoners at a mass demonstration at the Albert Hall on 29th April 1909. This brooch was presented to Kate Lilley on her release from Holloway Prison, 1912.
Kate and her sister Louise were two of the daughters of Tom Lilley, co-owner of the shoe-manufacturing firm Lilley & Skinner. As supporters of the suffragette campaign the Lilley sisters became founding members of the Clacton, Essex branch of the Women's Social and Political Union and actively campaigned for Votes for Women. In March 1912 both sisters were arrested for breaking windows in the War Office and sentenced to two months hard labour in Holloway Prison. Whilst on remand they endured a short period of hunger strike for which, on their release, they were rewarded with Hunger Strike medals. In Holloway the sisters were placed next to each other in cells 4 and 5 of DX Wing. Up to 200 suffragettes were imprisoned in Holloway In March 1912. Prison accounts reveal that the women gained comfort and support from the companionship of their fellow suffragettes particularly their friend Kitty Marshall.