The river Musi and its northern bank centered around the Afzal Ganj bridge covered on the map. The river Musi, a tributary of the Krishna, originating from the Ananthagiri Hills near Vikarabad, is famous as much as Hyderabad famous. The original city of Hyderabad was founded on the southern bank of river Musi by Muhammed Quli Qutb Shah in 1591 A.D, and over the centuries, the city has grown into both banks of the river. The old city lies on its southern bank, which was the seat of power till the 7th the Nizam, Mir Osman Ali Khan. Also, the people of Hyderabad will never forget it due to the recurrent floods, and the worst one occurred in 1908, which led to the reorganization of the city itself by the Nizam. Subsequently, the Nizam shifted his residence, since then the city center saw a shift into the northern banks in particular. So, the role of Musi is inevitable for the city of Hyderabad both positively as well as negatively, not only in the past but also at the present too, in the forms of canals and dams constructed over it for the distribution of water.
The Afzal Ganj Bridge, which was one among the four bridges crossing the river Musi to the northern bank is well depicted on the map. The Afzal Ganj Bridge Road leading towards the northern bank thus formed a junction on four sides. From the junction, the road further leading to the Afzal Ganj in the north and to the left side of it lies Afzal Ganj police station, Afzal Ganj Hospital, and Afzal Ganj Masjid, are visible. The Afzal Ganj Hospital, the oldest one situated near the Afzal Ganj Bridge. The place named after the fifth Nizam Afzal-ud-Daula. The foundation of Hyderabad Medical School in 1846 by a residency surgeon funded by Nizam paved the way for the further establishment of dispensaries in the dominion of Nizam and Afzal Ganj hospital is one among such dispensary. It was opened in 1866 was under the in charge of graduates of Hyderabad Medical School. The Afzal Ganj Masjid lies to north the hospital was a fine building with four lofty minarets. And, from the junction to the right side another road leading to the Akbar Jah Bazar road and the surroundings of which is marked by a number of street lanes occupied by both commercial as well as residential buildings.