An illustrated composition of the features that can be seen on the facade of New India Assurance (1937) in the Fort neiighbourhood, South Mumbai.
This Art Deco building was built for the ‘New India.’ India’s claim to sovereignty is also signalled by bas-reliefs on its façade. Sculpted by N.G. Pansare, one depicts a larger-than-life worker with gears and cogs behind him. Another, an ode to the Swadeshi movement and a return to native roots, shows a woman with the charkha (spinning wheel).