The slab of marble which bears the inscription is embedded in the wall over the entrance to the Monastery's Library. It was constructed and placed there in 1862, under the care of Ioannis Sakkelion. The exact position of the original inscription of Nikephoros of Laodicea is hard to determine.
The inscription goes millenniums back. The Greek historian Diodorus Siculus (1st century BC) reports that the phrase was inscribed on the entance of the sacred library of the tomb complex of Ramses II (1279-1213 BC) at Thebes (Diod.1.49.3). A similar one decorated the eminent library of Alexandria, the largest and most significant library of the ancient world.