Kirby Hall was built fom 1570, initially for Sir Humphrey Stafford and then for Sir Christopher Hatton following Stafford's death. The Great Garden to the west of the house was laid out by Hatton's cousin. By the mid 19th century the gardens had been abandoned and the house became ruinous. The site was taken into guardianship by HM Office of Works in 1930 and the Great Garden restored.
Historic England Archive NMR_27457_07