In 1900 Tesla began building his new big laboratory. Apart from a facility for wireless transmission, it had plenty of additional space for auxiliary buildings for conducting experiments in agriculture. The vast land where the laboratory was built was on Long Island, some 100km from New York.
People from the surrounding areas were amazed by the big tower that Tesla built, the Wardenclyffe Tower. It was actually a support for the elevated terminal of his colossal transmitter and was to contain the structures of the primary and the secondary coils of the oscillating transformer with an elevated additional coil connected to the dome at the top. Gigantic dome at the top was made up of small metal hemispheres with low capacitance, which could produce great amount of energy and withstand exceptionally high voltage. The generators were in the basement of the laboratory. Grounding was a specific task to tackle. It was an important connection in the transmitter-earth oscillating system, so the 40m deep dip was dug in the center of the tower’s foundations.