A portrait of La Trobe was subscribed for by the colonists of Victoria in 1855 (Argus 15 January 1856 page 5, letters). This is the portrait which hangs in the Town Hall Melbourne and which has, unfortunately, been cut down. Two less finished versions were also made by the artist for the family. This version was done for La Trobe himself and remained in the family until it was donated to the State Library in 1954. The other copy was presented to the National Trust by Captain Charles La Trobe in 1960 and it is at present in the Governor's Office in the Old Treasury Building.